Saturday, August 13, 2016

Languages I am learning

Studiying a new language is something I always wanted to do. I have been studying English since 2002, so although I love it, it is not something I wish I can learn more about. On the other hand, I really want to learn Korean, Dutch, French, Italian and German, but in my city I hadn't have the opportunity to take classes in neither of those beautiful languages. That is way I started doing it by myself!

Some years ago I began using the web page 'Busuu' to learn Italian. I did a lot of units (al least the ones I could, because I was practising with the free modality of the course), and I even obtained a 'certificate' demonstrating that I was in level A2 of Italian (which of course is not a big deal). Then I forgot about that web page and after some years I continue learning Italian with the app 'Duolingo', but since I stopped practicing, I am not longer learning the language (although I would love to take classes). Anyway, I have an Italian dictionary above my night table in case I want to practice some words.

On 2014 I started listening some kpop music and trying to do the choreographies, and I also watched some doramas. It was inevitable I finished with the desire of learning Korean, but I didn't know how to do it. At the beggining of this year (2016) I searched on the internet some books to help me learn the language by myself, like an auto teaching method, and I found a very interesting book called 'Korean from Zero'. If you go to the web page, you may realized that the authors of the book are really amazing and awesome because they let everyone download the file with the pdf! Isn't that great? They say in their website that you can print the book for your personal use, but not for commercial reasons. They REALLY want us to learn the language for free and that is  something I really appreciate. I printed the PDF and I started learning, and I have to say it: the way they teach every lesson is a very good one. I learnt the Hangul (korean alphabet) super fast; the explanations they make and the exercises there are to practice are very useful. I really recommend the book for everyone wanting to learn Korean.

Recently, I won a scholarship to study Chinese online, and although I was very happy to  start the programme, now I am not THAT interested :( I would love to continue doing it, and I feel bad that I don't want to follow it anymore, but the thing is that I don't really think Chinese is a language I need to learn. I am less motivated for learning Chinese than to learn all the other languages I would like to. I will try to continue with the units but I don't think I can (on August 22nd I have to do the first test, and I need to finish four units in the following 9 days in order to succeed).

I am thinking on taking German classes next year in a German school located in my city. The course has a duration of a semester, and it is expensive, but I really want to learn a language other than English (I am studying English at University as you may know), and taking classes might be more useful than doing it my myself. 

So that's it! I would love to know what are your interests in languages, which ones do you want to learn, which ones do you already know, and which ones aren't really for you :)

Thanks for reading,

With love, Sofía.

No comments:

Post a Comment